Since we were headed to the Old West Festival my girls carefully picked out the perfect shirts – ones with horses on them. And of course they wanted to wear boots. My girls are just too cute in their cowgirl boots. And when they received new hats (the opening weekend special) at the entrance of the Old West Festival, they were thrilled. We went to the festival a couple of weekends ago right when it opened up for the year. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon. The perfect day to go and watch an old-time gun fight.
Henry was not as thrilled about the loud noises. One of the first things we did was watch the gun fight and it was between two women! All of us enjoyed it except Henry. Most of the afternoon he kept his fingers in his ears or his hands over them.
- New Entertainer—Wild Riders’ Abigail Petersen will perform Wild Trick Riding! Abigail will star in the Old West Festival Circus Riding Show, performing along with the Pickled Brothers.
- New weekend—Old West Festival has extended its season to include an extra weekend in October!
- New Themes—Themed weekends are back and better than ever! Romance Weekend (New in 2014) Sept. 20-21; America’s Pastime Weekend Sept. 27-28; Steam Punk Weekend Oct. 4-5; Halloween Weekend (New in 2014) Oct. 11-12.
- Gun Fights now break out all across the Old West Festival
This was the first year we got to see Miss Melody Star and her dancing girls at the Long Branch Saloon. The kids thought the show was very entertaining. Afterwards Stella got to go on stage and learn a few moves herself. Following the show, the kids headed straight for the pony rides and a train ride.
- At 10:15 a.m. each day, kids can be sworn in by the cowboys as a deputy
- Locomotive, covered wagon, horse and pony rides
- Games and panning for gold
- Daily magic shows and sing-a-longs
- Costume contest
- Photos with their favorite cowboy or other strolling historic interpreters
- Learn about life as a cowhand twice daily from demonstrations and hands-on activities by Fred Shaw
- Halloween Weekend includes a Halloween costume contest, vendor pumpkin carving contest and trick-or-treating through town
The last show we saw before we headed out was the Medicine Show per Stella’s request. Again, it was very entertaining, but it also had a little bit of gun action and balloon popping. Therefore, Henry was at it again as well…
There is still plenty of opportunity to catch the Old West Festival before it heads out of town again until next year.
Dates & Times: September 6 to October 12, 2014, Saturdays & Sundays only from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Rain or shine)
Location: 1449 Greenbush Cobb Rd. Williamsburg, Ohio 45176 (just off U.S. Rt. 32, near Greater Cincinnati)
Cost: $12 adults $6 kids ages 6 to 12 Kids 5 and under are FREE Parking is FREE
Who wants to win FREE tickets?
UPDATE: GIVEAWAY OVER! CONGRATS TO LORI!!!
One lucky reader will receive a 4-pack of tickets! In order to enter, leave a comment below telling me if you’ve ever been to the Old West Festival and which weekend you think looks fun to attend this year. One winner will be selected next Tuesday, September 23rd.
For more information and all the details about kids’ activities, daily shows, etc. visit the Old West Festival website or follow them on both Facebook and Twitter. You can also read more here or even revisit my post from 2012 for even more photos of our experience and a little advice about the mud.
Disclaimer: I was also given a 4-pack of tickets this year to help promote the Old West Festival.