During all of this crazy winter weather, I will confess we’ve watched a bit more television than normal to break up the days. However, we have also been watching more and more cooking shows. The kids love to watch the different recipes come together in front of their eyes. These Apple Hand Pies were actually inspired by the Sandwich King who made them as a tasty dessert. Unfortunately his recipe is not yet online – his caramel sauce looked AMAZING. So I read a few other recipes and came up with my own simple concoction.
- Pie Crust (yes, you can make your own, but I went for pre-made)
- Granny Smith Apples (I only needed 2, not the 3 shown)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Egg White or Water
- Sugar (to sprinkle on top)
How to Prepare the Filling:
- Chop up the 2 Granny Smith apples into teeny tiny pieces. I actually left the skin on because it doesn’t bother my kids and aren’t a lot of the nutrients in the apple skin?
- Saute the apples in a skillet on the stove with the 2 tbsp of butter for about 3 minutes.
- Add 1/3 cup brown sugar and stir in until melted.
- Add 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and stir in as well.
- Remove from the heat and let cool while preparing the crust.
To Prepare the Crust and Fill the Pies:
- Find a round cookie cutter or biscuit cutter and cut circles out of your pie crust.
- You want to end up with an even amount (or one large enough one at the end that you can fold over like a turnover – see photo a few below).
- Put a spoonful of the apple mixture in the center of half of the circle crusts. Keep the other half of them for the tops.
To Seal and Bake:
- Use a pastry brush to brush either egg whites or water around the edges.
- Put the second circle on top and seal with a fork around the edges.
- Poke fork through the top to let steam escape once in the oven.
- Brush all over with extra egg whites.
- Sprinkle tops with sugar.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Let cool 5-10 minutes before eating. The insides are very hot. Surprisingly, Charlotte was most excited about these, but turned out to not be a fan. At all. Stella and Henry? YUM! Blurry photo, but Stella is saying “mmmmmmm”.