Yum, yum, yum! And you can make the batter ahead of time…see below. I originally found this recipe on Pinterest which led me HERE. I followed the recipe pretty closely with a few minor changes. I didn’t have a lemon so I left that out and I also didn’t have kosher salt so just used plain table salt. And thank goodness she broke down 7/8 of a cup…because I would have guesstimated otherwise (it was late and I was tired)!
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter at room temperature
7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar (the 1 tablespoon is for sprinkling on top)
1 egg at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 cups fresh blueberries (you can also use fresh cranberries for a holiday spin…just increase the sugar a bit to offset tartness)
½ cup buttermilk
* 7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
1. Cream butter with 7/8 cup of the sugar until well blended.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour. Mix together the remaining flour (1 and 3/4 cup), baking powder and salt.
3. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
4. Grease a baking pan (I used an 8 x 11) with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan.
At this point, I covered the pan with cling wrap and shoved it in the refrigerator until the next day (24 hours later!). So you can make this ahead of time. It turned out just fine for me. If you are worried about your cold, refrigerated dish shattering…either let it get to room temp before shoving it in the oven or put it in while oven is cold and let them warm up together (that’s what I did) or keep the batter in a tupperware container and transfer it to a baking dish the next day.
5. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 minutes if baking immediately or about 45-60 minutes if it’s still cold from the refrigerator.
6. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 minutes more might be necessary.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
Also yummy served with Cheesy Ham Pie for dinner!