- Feeling that first kick when you are pregnant. Because the toddler tantrum kicks…wow!
- How everyone is so nice to the pregnant lady or the lady with the newborn…holds the door, stops the car to allow you walk in front of it, stops you on neighborhood walks to see the baby, etc. People have let a door slam on me when I’m obviously trying to corral two toddlers and a stroller through it…uh, thanks.
- The excitement and anxiety you get at the very same time when you realize “Holy Crap…today I’m bringing a person into the world!”
- The birth – Ok so not the whole thing. But that moment when you find out the sex. What? People find out ahead of time? Not us. That moment in the delivery room was always so exciting to me.
- Those first bonding moments and snuggles with something so…fresh. So brand new those first few weeks. So tiny in those itty-bitty NB size clothes.
- Those quiet moments early on in the middle of the night in the rocker in the baby’s room. Exhausted, yet satisfied.
- The fact that no one comes up to you or looks your way and frowns when you are holding a newborn. (But they will when it’s a toddler!!)
- Maternity leave naps – Who am I kidding? I think I took ONE nap with the last leave. They say “sleep when the baby sleeps”…who does that? Anyone??? I did a handful of times with my first, but never after that.
- That baby smell…because, sadly, my boy…well, smells like a boy now.
- Sharing all of this with my hubby again…the man of my dreams.
Grieving and its stages are very serious. I am not attempting to mock this at all. I am, however, very aware that some decisions we make cause us to go through similar stages. Big decisions. I feel that through the process of deciding on a 4th, I’ve felt some of those stages:
So now it’s time to celebrate HUGE milestones…NO MORE FORMULA OR BOTTLES!!! We crossed that milestone this past weekend. YIPPEE! And we are celebrating the fact that this little guy…no matter how big he gets…will always be the baby of the family.